The ABC of Tyrolean specialities
don’t miss these treats!
You’re looking for the ultimate Austrian holiday experience and don’t want to miss out on the best local treats? Then we have the perfect bucket list for you! The following Tyrolean specialities are a great way to experience the true taste of Austria. Tuck in, enjoy and feel like a real “Österreicher”!
- Kasspatzln (Swabian-style cheese noodles): best served sprinkled with Paznaun Alpine Cheese!
- Tiroler Speckknödel (bacon dumplings): Originally served in soup.
- Tiroler Gröstl (roast meat and potatoes): Originally comprised of leftovers, the dish is now one of Austria’s most popular traditional dishes.
- Kaspressknödel (cheese dumplings): For generations, the savoury dumplings have been flattened and fried.
- Tiroler Marend or Brettljause (assortment of cold cuts and cheeses): The Austrian afternoon snack. No matter if you order a Marend or Brettljause, you will get the same mouth-watering treats served on a wooden board.
- Kiachl or Bauernkrapfen (famers’ donuts): A sweet seduction served with a dab of cranberry jam in the middle.
- Schlutzkrapfen (a type of ravioli): A savoury potato filling coated in fluffy dough, served with melted butter and fresh chives.
- Moosbeernocken (blueberry pancakes): Best enjoyed fresh from the pan and sprinkled with lots of icing sugar!
- Strauben (funnel cake): The sweet “curls” are fried and sprinkled with sugar.
Gourmet tip: You would like to be spoiled by international star chefs and sample their innovative creations? Then you should definitely join the annual culinary hike and enjoy a truly delightful experience!
You’re interested in regional products, species-appropriate animal farming and traditional delicacies? Then sample your way through the comprehensive selection of culinary treats in Kappl and get a taste of perfect holidays!